Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Pain, the Agony, the Stupidity

Well, it certainly has been an interesting few weeks. Just as the weather began to warm and the days grew longer; just when there were ample opportunities for outside activities, a bit of increased mileage on the runs, and numerous spring time chores around the house, I actually sprained my ankle. Not a simple sprain, oh no, but a nice category-II roll-over with associated ligament damage. What fun. And only three weeks into a new job. Needless to say, this is the sort of thing that can really cool one's jets so to speak. I'll have to admit I have a new appreciation for all of those handicap accessibility structures courtesy of the ADA. Since most of my commute down to ground zero is on public transportation, those little features made all the difference.

The good news is that the ortho consult went very well on Friday, and if I follow directions closely and don't do anything stupid, I might be back to normal in six to eight weeks without surgery. It is a big improvement in just the last day being able to wear a brace and walk without crutches. I think of the times I've run off road on rock and roots, and I had to wait until I was on pavement to do something stupid like this (caught the edge of a small pot hole while in an endorphin haze).

So once I am able to get around a bit better, it looks like this will be the opportunity to finally get serious with the mountain bike. Although I think I will be sticking to smooth level trails for the immediate future.

1 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Citizen H said...

Good luck with the recovery! I wouldn't sweat a gimp ankle, since all my exercise is in a kayak. remarkably easy on the lower extremities, I'm telling you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home