Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The King Is Dead; Long Live the King

Last week was a sad time for those who followed the life and times of Bill Buckley and admired his wit and analysis.

Anyone who grew up in the 60s and 70s was no doubt familiar with that "walking dictionary" guy on PBS, and how could someone lean that far back in his chair to near horizontal status without ever crashing? As a kid at the time, I was completely oblivious to anything political, but the chair thing was very impressive and often imitated much to the chagrin of my parents and teachers. I am happy to say however that I was finally able to master the technique in graduate school and consider myself to be Bill's equal in at least one tiny aspect of my adult life. If only I had a fraction of the vocabulary that he forgot!

There have been a multitude of fine obituaries included one from Coulter (to be compared and contrasted with this one from Kathleen Parker) as well as the usual droll from the WaPo. Yes you morons; "Buckley Left His Mark on Politics" much like Armstrong left his footprints on the moon.

We will miss you Bill, and Western Civilization is but one step closer to the encroaching darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home